Monday, August 8, 2011

Because I'm not afraid to laugh at myself.

Very recently I went to Wal-Mart in search of a valve-less sippy cup.  (Those valves accumulate crud, are difficult to clean, and disappear into the bowels of our home.)

So, a valve-less sippy it was.  I found several, but they were each emblazoned with various cartoon characters.  I like cartoons.  I even enjoy some appropriate marketing, but ... I generally avoid purchasing branded goods for Olive.

That is, a shirt from the GAP is ok, but a shirt that says GAP is not on my list.  Seriously, the GAP doesn't pay us to advertise for them.  That probably makes me a fun killer.

However, I ended up with a Minnie Mouse sippy set.  (Which, by the by, Olive LOVES.)  The cashier commented on my cute cup.  I smiled and chatted with her, sharing my anti-advertising philosophy.  We laughed, I paid, and I left the store.  On my way outside, I passed a big, shiny glass window, and I looked at my reflection in the glass.

Wanna know what shirt I was wearing?

The patriotic Mickey Mouse shirt I bought to wear on the fourth of July.

Yup.  I totally had a "do as I say, not as I do" moment.  It was not the first such moment, and I'm sure it won't be the last.  But crow sure tastes crummy.

No comments:

Post a Comment